Followers

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Dog Fouling - again

I was indirectly accosted by an irrate resident when I was out walking my dog today. An awful mess had been deposited by a dog owner on someones pavement and as I passed with my dog she shouted something like 'I wish they'd walk their dogs elsewhere'. I always feel a bit guilty in such situations even though I am a responsible dog owner.

We've been here with this one before and its a very annoying problem for most of us although I'm sure there are only a few offenders. We did contact the Dog wardens a couple of years ago and they stepped up their patrols at the time. But the problem remains and the incidents seem to be increasing.

So I've contacted the dog warden again with a question about the possibility of getting the community more involved with dealing with the problem - see below.

"There seems to have been an increase in dog fouling in the Barrows Green Lane and Moorfield Rd area. I wonder whether it would be possible for patrols to be increased.

Is there any such scheme as 'Dog Watch'? You could leaflet an area with a particularly high incident of fouling and get people to report incidents type of dog, description of owner date time of incident etc.

I'm sure you'd build up a picture of the offending owners which could be pursued by yourselves and the CPO's in the local community. Perhaps residents associations could help in the organising of such schemes".

What do you think - any (sensible) ideas? Don't forget that if the pavement outside your home is subjected to fouling contact the Highways Dept at the council (Council's general inquiry number - 0303 333 4300) and they should have it cleaned up. This will also act as a survey for the council in relation to fouling hotspots with such information being passed to the dog warden - hopefully!

No comments: