Followers

Tuesday 15 September 2009

Then, Now and Wow

The last time I attended a Liverpool Green Party meeting was in 2004. Then they were held at Liverpool University's Students Guild in the city centre. If I'm served appropriately by my memory, not sure of this these days, the membership seemed to be prominently young people, particularly students.

Peter Cranie was the work horse of the group, always enthusiastic full of ideas and supportive of all in a positive way.

I think I saw a little of the fruition of his work (and others) when I attended a Liverpool Green Party meeting at the beginning of this week.

A little aside at this stage before I get to the core of my ramblings. The meetings are now held at the Aigburth Bowling and Cricket club next door to St Michaels station. I mention the station not only for purposes of orientation but to relate a story about how easy it is to fall into the cultural trap of relying too heavily on the car.

I'd mentioned to several people about my intention to go to the meeting and was hoping somebody might take me up on the offer of transporting them there. This would resolve my conscience about using the diesel monster to get to Liverpool and back. But nobody responded and I was left to my conscience and pretentious and untried principles.

Could I go by train - the meeting might end late, could I get my connections - who would pick me up from the station. Its that mindset that's difficult to shake off. But I resolved to do it and to my relief found it to be incredibly easy and cheap to use the train (£2.70 return). I've got a rail card - not telling you which type!!

Whats more I discovered a way from Widnes to Southport via Liverpool Southparkway by train which would be relatively direct and inexpensive. Just shows you what can happen when you do something different!

Back to the meeting - I was struck about the quality of the debates which occurred. It seemed a much more settled group than the one I had witnessed in 2004. Its composition was more varied with more greys present including me of course. In 2004 it seemed I was the only grey in the village. It was more secure, more assured (two councillors in the bag) and this was allied by a definite vision of the way the party was heading.

I actually felt proud to be in the Green Party and to be among people who were really concerned about people who lived in the locality as much as being concerned about furthering the Green Party in Liverpool. To me this is what the Green Party is all about. (Is it the same in other parties - maybe it is) This was brought into sharp focus a couple of times when people felt that the emphasis in such and such a topic area should really be on working with other parties rather than involvement in inter party bickering.

Well done Peter, well done everybody. Hope I don't sound too sycophantic, but I mean every single word!!

No comments: