Followers

Sunday 27 September 2009

"The Age of Stupid" and Halton

I'd advise anyone who's interested in one possible version of the future to try to see "The Age of Stupid" which was premiered in March this year - the year of the Copenhagen UN meeting on Climate change (December 2009). I saw the film last Thursday in the Community Church in Frodsham

Its another topic I go on about and worry whether I'm putting people off. But I think it should be shown by every council in the country to their elected members and officers to push the debate on in relation to what we can all do at so many levels.

The film, a sort of documentary plus, if you don't already know stars Peter Postlethwaite (I didn't know until recently he grew up in Warrington or was it Wigan) who in the year 2050 following catastrophic climatic events looks back at "The Age of Stupid" ie now at what we weren't doing to tackle climate change.

At this very moment I'm thinking of Halton Council's core strategy document - strategical planning for the borough until 2020 and particularly its economic development plans which seem partly to be ensuring that Halton becomes a major centre for logistics and distribution (means heavy goods vehicles etc). This includes its support of expansion of Liverpool airport as part of this strategy.(not exactly a plus in terms of tackling climate change - maybe in vote winning though!)

Without being privvy to exactly what Halton council is doing regarding economic development and I must say I've not looked at the core strategy document in any depth (only just received it) and I'm certainly no expert, it begs the question what are we doing to attract what will become one of the biggest growth industry's in the next decade to the area - sustainable energy. Perhaps sincerely I'll be pleasantly surprised at the work that's going on or indeed I'll be made to recognise that attracting any industry per se to Halton is difficult!

The Green Party and other organisations are hoping to show the film in Widnes in November this year. It is not going to be a Green Party thing the subject matter is too important (sorry if I sound holier than thou but am thinking of my grandchildren) We would like to invite everyone to the viewing including council members (and officers of course). Please come, we all really need to be acting together!

Will be posting dates and times in due course

No comments: