Followers

Thursday 6 March 2008

What it's all about!!

This weekend and nextweek our family will be welcoming two new babies, please God. My daughters Clare and Rachel are due to deliver, Rachel over this weekend and Clare possibly next week.

It's a busy and joyful time with much laughter and tears. It got me thinking about the time I'm spending working for the Green Party. Shouldn't I be devoting more time to my family - of course a big, big whopping yes!

But the time left over...well its got to be for me, considering our babies futures and all the other babies futures that are going to be born over the next weeks months years - if I don't try to do something now, no matter how little, about the massive issues of climate change, excessive consummerism and linked third world poverty, I feel I will be failing the next generation and generations to come (or not to come). This statement you might consider is steeped in sensationalism but it seems to me we haven't grasped yet the seriousness of the problems we're facing - we continue to live in a phooney war situation.

Why the Green Party? What about Green Peace, Oxfam, Cafod etc. Well I believe that real change can only come about through political pressure and I consider the best way to achieve this is by sending a clear message to the other parties, government etc through people voting Green that climate change has got to be the number one priority. When their votes are effected thats when the real facing up to the challenges will start!
Back to the babies please keep reading this blog to find out - I promise there'll be much less soap boxing!!
Derek

No comments: