Followers

Sunday 10 May 2009

Halton Euro Campaign trail 2

Third day of leafleting in beautiful Hale with the sun shining and those delicious aromas of May buds bursting out all over the place with tempting smells of herbs.

As elections mostly occur in May surely we should latch onto the idea of providing free local aromatic floral tours to people who'll leaflet for us. We must have mapped out these ward routes many times all we need to do is list the flora en route something the Green party should be eminently capable of doing!

No I've not taken to the madness of the May hare although I was saddened not maddened on meeting my first Halean resident who was a mild sixtyish person who lived in a tidy bungalow which smelt of those Sunday lunches when mum was around.

I explained the reasons for tactically voting Green to keep the BNP out when he said that's the Party he'd be voting for. I was speechless but he gently took the leaflet off me and I'm sure would have offered me a bite of lunch if I hadn't looked so well fed.

Linda (my wife also leafleting) said that's perceptions for you and that it was also the beauty of life - full of surprises.

To her the mild mannered person was hankering for the fifties when he was young and things made sense and most things were black and white (pardon the colourism). I added patronisingly that he probably read the tabloid press and his views had been moulded over the decades.

It was just that he was so nice and definitely going to vote and I thought of all those other so nice voters dotted all over the place and was saddened.

Still we delivered a weighty number of leaflets including some of our own local ones. The latter we're hoping will encourage local residents to get involved with us in time for next years council elections - Here's hoping!

No comments: